Sunday, April 18, 2010

1 Nephi Chapter 5

I can only imagine the joy that Sariah felt when her boys made it back to camp. Watching the way that my lovely wife worries herself sick over every thing our daughters do...this must have been quite a reunion. Plus, we see that even Sariah got to the point where she murmured and complained against Lehi, saying the very same things that her negative sons said, that "he was a visionary man". I love that his reply was basically a big fat, "duh!"
I go on the assumption that Sariah was faithful when Lehi told her to pack her things (the very few she could take). This is the first time that we her of her doubting her husband. Now I know a thing or two about a thing or two, and when my wife loses faith in me, things are pretty darn bad. Now, of course, she doesn't always agree with me or my motives for doing things, but her faith is always in me. She is my confidence booster!
If I put myself in Lehi's strappy sandals for a minute, I know that it stung more than a little to have her attacking him, and since you cannot give faith or testimony to another, he could do very little to calm her down.
But, in the end the boys returned with the plates and a fat slice of humble pie for Sariah. Her testimony was strengthened and she knew, more than ever before, that her husband called by Heavenly Father to lead them to the Land of Promise.
I've had humble pie and it is unique in that it is the only thing in which the after taste is better than the flavor while you are eating it.
I think of a time when I was angry with my Father-in-Law John. I don't remember why, but we were having a little tiff.
I was trying to put a tire on my way-2-small moped and I spent a good hour just trying to get the stupid thing back on the rim. I squeezed, pryed, jammed, and stomped hoping to get the tire back on the rim but it just wouldn't go. Finally, I prayed to the Lord to ask for help in figuring out how to finish the job.
Almost instantly I had a thought. "Go ask John for help". I hated the answer, but I couldn't deny that it was the answer to my prayer. I took my sweet time going to ask him for his help. He came out, and between the two of us, we had it on in under five minutes. I thanked him, and I don't remember having anymore resentful feelings between the two of us. Like I said, the after taste was much sweeter.

0 comments: