Wednesday, April 14, 2010

1 Nephi Chapter 3

I cannot read this chapter without thinking about several things. First, Laman and Lemuel are idiots. Second, Laman and Lemuel are all of us, but we often fail to see them in ourselves. Actually, I believe we REFUSE to see them within us. To be sure, the Laman and Lemuel we see in this chapter are extreme examples of doubtfulness, but I think about how often I hear the Prophet speak and do not act with the faith of Nephi.



Do I read my scriptures everyday? Not always.



Do I hold Family Home Evening every week? No.



Do I have food storage? Not unless you consider 2 cases of Top Ramen food storage.





Do I attend the temple to worship, out of obedience, or for some other reason? A little bit of all.





Why is it that I often fail to complete simple things and still expect Laman and Lemuel to love the idea of leaving home and possessions behind to wander "aimlessly" in the woods because of someone else's vision?





I know that I have always been quick to judge Laman and Lemuel, and they are surely painted in a darker shade throughout the scriptures, but by slowing down to really ponder this chapter, I have discovered that I have a little Laman and Lemuel inside of me, and I must learn to convert the energy being used on that attitude into pure Nephi-like faith.





I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no comandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for the that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.




The other thing I always think about is the fact that the boys "cast lots", leaving the results up to chance. I always wonder why we don't hear about Laman doing any murmuring when the lot "fell upon" him, obligating him to go in unto the house of Laban. Was faith in chance so powerful that they didn't bother to argue with it? Maybe, maybe not.


Perhaps they understood Proverbs better than we might assume:


Proverbs 18:18 The lot causeth contentions to cease, and parteth between the mighty.


Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap, but the whole disposing thereof is of the Lord.

I have always taken comfort in the fact that the Lord is overseeing our coin tosses and stick pulls, but at the same time, we cannot expect to toss a coin in order to force an answer from the Lord. How should the coin toss be used? I do not know exactly.


1 comments:

Holli said...

I enjoy your insights and agree that we all have a little bit of Lamen and Lemuel in us.