Monday, May 24, 2010

1 Nephi Chapter 9 - The Separation of Church and State? Not Quite...

As I read this relatively short chapter, a couple of things really stood out to me. First is the fact that Nephi notes the distinction between his two sets of plates. The Lord commanded him to make a set of plates for the ministry and one set of plates for the history of his people. I, like Nephi, am left wondering why this might be. I can't really come up with a great reason why, so for this week I am offering a challenge. I would like to hear the thoughts of anyone who reads this. Why do you think the Lord commanded him to separate the ministry for the reign of the kings and the wars and contentions? Please reply in the comment section.

The other thing that stood out is Nephi's powerful faith in the face of little knowledge. He had no idea why he was commanded to do the work he was to do, but he shows no wavering in his willingness to follow the Lord's commands. What a guy!

On one last note I just wanted to mention that when I read one part in particular it seems that Nephi is rambling a little bit, but maybe I'm just struggling to read it clearly. Sometimes I think it's fun to notice the human quirks of the prophets. It reminds me that they are human as well. But like I said...maybe I'm just struggling to get it. What do you think?

"And now, as I have spoken concerning these plates, behold they are not the plates upon which I make a full account of the history of my people; for the plates upon which I make a full account of my people I have given the name of Nephi; wherefore, they are called the plates of Nephi, after mine own name; and these plates also are called the plates of Nephi."

1 comments:

Mandy Caldwell Bell said...

Okay...I'm by far not a scholar when it comes to gospel doctrine and I didn't do any research, but I'll shoot a theory about it... take it for what it's worth.
I've contemplated before how a journal about your daily tasks would be overly beneficial to posterity. I know that through such works people have learned about culture and other important events.
However, if I had to choose what kind of knowledge I would want to leave my posterity it would be concerning matters that would provide them with knowledge that would be most beneficial to them. I would consider the gospel, it's applications and learning experiences from my life, to be more beneficial than a daily recap. Some of these experiences are recognizable the moment we experience them. On the other hand, sometimes we look back at life experiences and later realize a lesson we learned. For this reason, I believe he (as well as us) should, in essense, keep two sets of plates: a shorter compilation of the most important gospel lessons, and, second, to some degree a daily/weekly recap. Later as we try and sort out a lesson we may have learned from the past, this journal (these plates) may be able to help us better understand and apply our lesson to our lives. From here we can transfer the important applicable elements of our new knowledge to our "plates" of most important knowledge. Furthermore, we may not be the only ones who benefit from this knowledge...our posterity may too. This gift will provide an eternal value that won't compare to any monetary gift we can give our posterity; nor will it's value fade over time. Further, it's less likely to be abused. It makes me think of this quote by Jeffrey R. Holland:
"We would do well to lay up treasures in heaven, where not taxes but doctrine give meaning to words like estate, inheritance, testament, and will."

Another great thing about this is we can all do it. It may take a little work and time, but our social status or monetary ability is not a factor.
One more thing, do we really think our posterity is going to want to hear about what we did every day or even every week of our lives? Seriously!? We aren't that full of ourselves :) A shorter version of our life's lessons will be way more entertaining, more likely to be read, and more than likely provide a greater overall benefit for the majority.
Just an idea, but I wouldn't go as far to consider it an accurate interpretation of its intended application.
I look forward to other's opinions and responses :)